Frequently asked questions

How do I apply for housing?

First you must apply for admission to Northwestern. After you have been accepted, you can enter your housing preferences on theROCK > Community Life tab > Residence Life portlet > UNW Housing Home Page.

I have special housing needs, who should I contact to discuss my housing arrangements?

You should contact the Disability Office for Support Services (DOSS) to discuss any special needs you have that may require special housing accommodations.

When should I submit my housing preferences?

Housing assignments are made based on enrollment deposit date. We encourage you to make this deposit to admissions as early as possible.

For fall enrollment, if a student makes their deposit before April 1, they will be housed by May 17; if before May 1, they will be housed by June 1; if before June 1, they will be housed by July 1; if before July 1, they will be housed by August 1; if before August 1, they will be housed before the start of school.

For spring enrollment, if a student makes their deposit before December 16, assignments will be completed by January 5; if after December 17, they will be housed on or before January 8.

Which buildings are available for me as a new student?

You can request to live in any of the residence halls. Since space is limited in each of the buildings, we cannot guarantee that you will always get your first choice of residence.

Can I be in a room by myself?

A large part of residence life at UNW is building relationships and community. Because of this, we do not offer any single rooms. Akenson Hall  offers layout styles that house two–four students per room. Hartill, KnuHa, and Knutson house three–four students per room. Moyer is split into quads with eight students in each quad. Ramseyer and Pittman North are apartment style housing with four–five people to a room, depending on the apartment layout.

Am I required to live on campus?

All students who are seeking a traditional undergraduate degree, and are under the age of 21 as of the first day of classes of the fall semester are required to live in university housing the entire academic year. Students who are part-time (less than 12 credits, including both traditional undergraduate and distance education credits), married, or living with one or both parents are exempt from this policy.

When do I move into my room?

New student move-in day is always the Friday before classes begin whether you are coming for fall or spring semester. If you are required to move in early due to extracurricular activities, you will be notified of the date and time of your check-in.

When will I find out who my roommates are?

Once you have been assigned to a room, you will be able to see your roommates by visiting theROCK > Community Life tab > Residence Life portlet > UNW Housing Home Page link > Fall Room and Roommate Assignment button.

Will my assigned room or roommates change before I arrive?

It is sometimes necessary to make changes to your initial assignment due primarily to people cancelling.

What laundry facilities are provided?

Every residence hall has laundry facilities with washers and dryers. A  laundry card is purchased on campus in the residence halls; funds are loaded onto the card using bills or a credit card. Each load costs about $1 to wash and $1 to dry. Coins are not accepted.

Where can I store my bike?

There are bike racks outside of every residence and many of the academic buildings as well. All students are strongly encouraged to purchase a U-shaped metal bike lock. There is limited indoor bike storage in some of the residence halls. You will receive more information about indoor bike storage during check-in.

Am I allowed to have a pet in my room?

Fish are the only pets allowed in Northwestern residences.

Can I bring a TV?

Yes, you are allowed to have a TV in your room. We do encourage you to discuss this with your roommates prior to moving in. Rooms in residence halls do not have cable TV.

Can I burn candles in my room?

Because of serious fire danger, open flames (including burning candles, incense, lighted potpourri, etc.) are not permitted.

Can I hang up pictures in my room?

You can hang up anything using plastic tac, but you cannot use nails, tacks, screws, 3M hooks, other adhesives, etc. due to the wall damage they create.